Mike's Veggie Garden

Mike

Administrator
First name
Mike
Hardiness zone
8a
Here is where I'll be able to keep folks updated on what's going on in my garden...for a while you have to excuse the weeds if I post photos because this garden was put in the middle of a field full of them just this year. Hopefully as years pass by they'll be easier and easier to control but we'll see.

I'll start off with photos of the first harvest from the garden, a handful of radishes I harvested several days ago. This is my first time growing radishes and I was super happy with how they turned out.

Stay tuned and I'll post some photos of the full garden soon.

PXL_20240507_231339480.MP.jpg

One of the first things I grew was Radishes Mike 😎😊

I'm not sure why I've never grown them before. Very low maintenance veggie! They were planted on the opposite end of the garden from other things, almost by themselves, and so they didn't get nearly as much water when they were young as the other things until we got the sprinklers added over there. I was afraid they might die because the soil is very sandy and doesn't hold much water. But, I'm pretty sure every single seed we put in the ground produced. We've got more in the ground now and I fully expect that they'll fully mature too. I may even plant another round when these are done just to see what happens.

Give it a couple of years. We'll be planting palm trees in our front yards.

I'm thinking more like a bunch of cacti. It looks like, at least where I am, the desert is getting closer all the time. We'll have to get @Zigs to give us a few pointers there. Could be that I'm just getting older, though, so the hot/dry just seems hotter/drier.

I'm thinking more like a bunch of cacti. It looks like, at least where I am, the desert is getting closer all the time. We'll have to get @Zigs to give us a few pointers there. Could be that I'm just getting older, though, so the hot/dry just seems hotter/drier.

Cacti are good, you can eat the pads and fruit of Opuntias, although you have to burn the glochids off before cooking them 😁

Oh, incidentally Mike, the forum smilies are coming up as code when viewing on laptops, are they set to smartphone settings? I'm using the imported ones 😮😁🌵

What I would like to know about those radishes is, can you cook them, keep them, or are they best raw 🤔
I'm going to try some radish "chips" as soon as my next harvest comes off so I'll be able to let you know then!
Cacti are good, you can eat the pads and fruit of Opuntias, although you have to burn the glochids off before cooking them 😁

Oh, incidentally Mike, the forum smilies are coming up as code when viewing on laptops, are they set to smartphone settings? I'm using the imported ones 😮😁🌵
Never eaten cactus before but I've heard they're good. Some folks around here make candy out of the pink blooms on certain kinds of cactus.

I think it's only native smilies on this site right now, but I'll get some more imported this evening.

I just got the smilies imported. :)
That is great, but the thumb up sign in my post was typed as bracket, letter y. bracket, which is code that sometimes shows on the forum. So, when I typed in the code to show you it changed to the pic instead. It's all too clever for me.

That is great, but the thumb up sign in my post was typed as bracket, letter y. bracket, which is code that sometimes shows on the forum. So, when I typed in the code to show you it changed to the pic instead. It's all too clever for me.

Yeah, as soon as I got all the smilies imported, any short-code that matches the smilie should have automatically been changed.

Never heard of that but, if I do see it somewhere, I'll be sure to pass on that variety.

Best thing to do with it is to peel the black skin off the roots, cook the white flesh and then throw it away 😁

Seriously though, I let one go to seed and it produced loads of seed pods which were fine in stir fries.

Back