Maryland hear. 7A/6B

Nope ! I think you have to ferment that - no idea how though 🥴
Yes. Fermenting is pretty easy. I tried last year to transfer it to clean quart jars with loose lids in the fridge. Well, it keeps for a month or two but it still keeps fermenting and can go bad. If you were to pressure can it, won't it kill the yeast and then you loose the probiotic part of it, maybe the taste? I was thinking of pouring it in freezer bags and freezing it. Not sure how that will work out either.

Someone told me to leave the lids loose on the jars in the fridge so I did. I figured they would build pressure if I didn't. I have some of those plastic lids like that. May just have to risk one blowing up and see. I only started to make sauerkraut last year.

Someone told me to leave the lids loose on the jars in the fridge so I did. I figured they would build pressure if I didn't. I have some of those plastic lids like that. May just have to risk one blowing up and see. I only started to make sauerkraut last year.
I would imagine, as it's a recipe from Germany, the lady in the video would know how it's done.
We've just been chatting about this, and we think it's probably to do with using the correct container to store the product.
Maybe someone else on here who does home brewing would have more experience ?

I just read this up, and evidently, if you are just using ordinary jars, you can prevent explosions by ''burping'' the jars. This just means opening the lids every day or two to let any extra air out. That makes sense! I also noticed that it is extremely important to keep the weights on and make sure the cabbage is always under the brine whilst fermenting it. - this of course to prevent ''miserable smelly failures'' 🤭
It seems like a similar precaution to dehydrating vegetables. For a few days afterwards, they need conditioning which involves close inspection for any sign of damp, and a good shake to make sure they don't stick to the glass.

Well now that you mention that, they actually do make fermenting lids for quart jars with a pressure valve. They aren't real cheap but something to consider as an alternative.

The amish folk make quite a bit of sauerkraut but I'd imagine they aren't trolling around these forums to tell me.

Back