Lime Trees

Zigs

Administrator
Hardiness zone
9a
Tetters had plans for a grand avenue of Lime Trees along the main drive but the Partridges had other plans and pruned most of them out of existance as soon as they were planted :rolleyes:

Some survived in a coppiced state (no main leader shoot)

DSC04927.webp

These are Small Leafed Limes (Tillia cordata)

Today in Dover we parked up under some slightly older trees, probably Large Leaved Limes (Tilia platyphyllos) and probably about 15 years old, which were flowering.

DSC05252.webp

DSC05251.webp

Insects love the trees, they're usually covered in Aphids and Ladybird Larvae (eating them) Your car gets covered in honeydew if you leave it under one for too long.

They're also an important food tree for the Lime Hawk Moth.

Tetters had plans for a grand avenue of Lime Trees along the main drive but the Partridges had other plans and pruned most of them out of existance as soon as they were planted :rolleyes:

Some survived in a coppiced state (no main leader shoot)

View attachment 780

These are Small Leafed Limes (Tillia cordata)

Today in Dover we parked up under some slightly older trees, probably Large Leaved Limes (Tilia platyphyllos) and probably about 15 years old, which were flowering.

View attachment 781

View attachment 782

Insects love the trees, they're usually covered in Aphids and Ladybird Larvae (eating them) Your car gets covered in honeydew if you leave it under one for too long.

They're also an important food tree for the Lime Hawk Moth.
..... and, I do believe we completely forgot to mention the gorgeous perfume coming from those flowers. I just hope I live long enough to see flowers on my trees too. I used to say the same thing about the bracts on the Davidii tree (handkerchief tree) 😄

..... and, I do believe we completely forgot to mention the gorgeous perfume coming from those flowers. I just hope I live long enough to see flowers on my trees too. I used to say the same thing about the bracts on the Davidii tree (handkerchief tree) 😄

Took a bit of looking up as google likes results for the citrus lime tree and not Tilia but they flower in 8 to 10 years so ours have been in for 4 years so you have to stay alive for another 4 to 6 years just in case 😁

Back