Important - Please Read

Zigs

Administrator
Hardiness zone
9a
POISONOUS PLANTS DISCLAIMER. IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS
By viewing this forum you agree that its members and staff of Garden Chat Forum accept no liability for any injury or death occurring as a result of ingesting or exposure to any plant or fungi, either mistakenly believing it to be one described or listed on the forum, or as the result of an unforeseeable reaction or allergy to any plant or fungi that is described or listed in the forum.
Whilst Members and Staff make every effort to correctly identify plants and fungi posted here, it is not always possible to make an accurate identification from an image and there is always the possibility of a mistake, therefore the responsibility for identification ultimately rests with the individual.

In summary, we would always recommend that you seek the advice of an expert in identifying whether or not a plant is edible before consuming it, and if you are not 100% certain don't eat it.

Thank you, The Garden Chat Forum Team.

A long time ago on a forum far far away a young lad from Yorkshire posted a picture asking "What's wrong with this carrot?"

Only the picture he posted was quite obviously a Hemlock root :eek:

Now it's not uncommon for Hemlock seeds to come up on an allotment and it looked like this one had self seeded in his row of carrots.

We knew this lad had a wife and 2 kids and although we'd all posted our concerns on the thread he didn't log back in for a few days :eek:

We were on the verge of contacting the emergency services but he did log back in and told us his wife had tasted a bit, found it was very bitter and threw it away. Thank God she didn't swallow any of it or cut it up and put it in a stew :eek:

Great that you posted the disclaimer. One thing that a lot of new gardeners are not aware of is the fact that there are many garden plants that are poisonous. Some berries are a good example.

Maybe a list of such plants can be posted, referring not only to the actual plant, but the part of them in some cases which is poisonous?

Great that you posted the disclaimer. One thing that a lot of new gardeners are not aware of is the fact that there are many garden plants that are poisonous. Some berries are a good example.

Maybe a list of such plants can be posted, referring not only to the actual plant, but the part of them in some cases which is poisonous?
Unfortunately we are not wikipedia. It wouldn't be possible to warn about every plant that can or could harm people, and it is more something for people to find out for themselves.
Individual posts could be a help, and sharing personal ''for example'' stories, but all we can do is try and make folk aware of possible dangers that might lurk in nature generally.
There is also the geographical situation, different plants in different countries - and the fact that some plants may cause allergies in some, but seem perfectly ok in others.
A few years ago I removed all of the Rue plants I was growing as the campers were coming up with rashes and skin irritation, but the plants gave me no trouble at all.
It is also up to parents to teach their children such things as apple pips being poisonous, whereas the apple is good nourishment, and to leave all berries without adult confirmation that they are safe or otherwise. Caution is the keyword.

I was just pointing out a common plant that can be dangerous :)

Like Cherries, the fruits are lovely but the stones contain cyanogenetic glycosides that your body will convert to cyanide and suffocate you :eek:
I guess I'm immune to nutmeg because my eggnog gets way more than a couple tbsps. added.
I did get cyanide poisoning back in the 80's from being cut by a piece of PVC pipe. It just put me to sleep for three days. Hospital staff wheeled me away and I have no idea what went on after that.

I love nutmeg on eggnog.

I guess I'm immune to nutmeg because my eggnog gets way more than a couple tbsps. added.
I did get cyanide poisoning back in the 80's from being cut by a piece of PVC pipe. It just put me to sleep for three days. Hospital staff wheeled me away and I have no idea what went on after that.

I love nutmeg on eggnog.

:eek: How many legs have you got?

Use Cinnamon, it's slightly less dangerous 😁

Back