Hydrangea

Jersey Devil

Hardiness zone
6b
OK About that Hydrangea losing color. That thing was a blue when I bought it. The lady at the nursery told me it was blue (and it was) and that the type of soil I planted it in would determine the color. This was from a huge family farm in NJ with an impecable reputation. So I plant it with some Miracle gro in ground garden soil, and some potting mix with 10-10-10. Within a week it got crazy brilliant deep blue. Was beautiful. Was so proud of myself. Then, almost overnight, it lost all its color. Research and questions galore only to become more confused. Too much or not enough SUN. Too much or not enough WATER. Too much or not enough NUTRIENTS. How the heck do you know the differance ? :oops: The plant looks very healthy though so I dont think its dying I added some vinegar due to the clay soil we have here. Please help me cheer up my sad little honeypie :giggle:

Attachments

• IMG_2497.JPG
    IMG_2497.JPG
    431.3 KB · Views: 4
My input based on experience was that too much water can rapidly cause loss of color. I've seen it happen.

But it's worth repeating @Tetters more comprehensive informed response :

" I can tell our new friend that any hydrangea blue or pink or white will grow in any soil. All hydrangeas prefer plenty of water and shady conditions, as long as the water can drain away (excessive rain as Meadowlark has had will wash a lot of nutrients out too.)
Blue hydrangeas will never stay blue unless the soil they are growing in is acid. In limy soil the colour will change to pink. Adding anything to the soil will ultimately not change the colour. Planted in clay soil these plants are unhappy unless plenty of drainage is added. Nutrients will simply dry up unless the soil can breathe - then the flower colour will pale, and the plant will eventually die.
Clay soil will flood badly with excessive rainfall, and crack up like lumps of concrete when it is hot and dry."

... How the heck do you know the differance ? :oops:
One of the things that makes gardening interesting and at the same time challenging is the almost limitless number of variables that can affect an outcome.

That old example of seeing a turtle on a fence post...with knowledge and experience we eliminate causation variables to substantially increase the probability of having a correct answer to " How?"... but no one gets it right every time.

Meadowlark... thanks for the knowledge you passed on from Tetters. It finally answers my issue. Now I just keep my fingers crossed it doesn't die

Back