Howdy from Texas

Mike

Administrator
First name
Mike
Hardiness zone
8a
I figure I should probably be the first one to introduce myself.

My name is Mike. I'm from north-central Texas, USA. I work as a building manager for a county owned building. I have a wife and two kids (22 and 16). My youngest is the main reason we re-started our garden. He's extremely interested in growing things. In the time I'm not spending at work or with the family I like to mess around in the garden, tend to the chickens, watch six-man football and build/code websites (forums in particular).

I've just recently, this year in fact, gotten back into gardening after my father passed away a few years ago. Before that we'd only had a veggie garden for two years. So, I'm fairly new to gardening. We've only ever planted some basic stuff in years past, but this year, and especially into the fall and next year, we're really looking to broaden what we've got in the ground. So far this year we have radishes (first time trying them), pickling cucumbers, straight 8 cucumbers, yellow squash, okra, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, broccoli (first time), and cauliflower (first time). I'm really looking forward to sharing all of my experiences in my garden. More than that, though, I'm really looking forward to seeing your gardens and what you're doing.

This looks good, I was looking for a nice new garden forum, and this one seems like just the job. I would like to be known as Tetters, and I'm hoping I can find out how to put that name under my avatar. :D

OH, my name miraculously appeared. I live in the UK in Kent, and hope that we might find a few more members here in this country. My gardens consist mostly of grass and perennials, shrubs and trees. I mostly leave the veggies to Lord Awful :sneaky:

Despite being a busy man you find time to watch football. Assuming it's American football and not soccer as you know it, can you explain what six man football is please?

American football, yes.

So there are hundreds of rural schools in Texas that don't have enough kids in school to field an 11-man football team. So, they play 6-man football. Usually that consists of 3 linemen, on offense, a quarterback, and 2 backs in the backfield. Of course there are a few different sets and schemes but this would be the most popular.

It's a very fast paced game. Since there are only six men (or women) on the field, there's a lot of open space to run. It's not uncommon for schools to score 40+ points a game. In fact, it'd be a lot less common if neither team scored at least 40 points.

You can find more info about it on another site I own, here: https://sixmanfootball.com

Thanks for explaining and I can imagine it being a fast game. I would have asked my American daughter-in-law but she's into baseball and may not have known. I'll check out the link later. (y)

Thanks for explaining and I can imagine it being a fast game. I would have asked my American daughter-in-law but she's into baseball and may not have known. I'll check out the link later. (y)

There are also a lot of videos on YouTube that you can watch if you'd like to see a game. Just search for the channel "Sixman Films". It's ran by a buddy of mine and he uploads every game he can find.

Back