Howdy From Rain-Soaked East Texas

Meadowlark

My background is varied and started out as a rocket scientist working on the Apollo moon program. After 30 years, that evolved into project management for Lockheed, then consulting for Aerospace Corp, followed by private consulting work, and then my last position as Adjunct Professor. Now, I'm happy to be called a Texas Rancher/Cowboy. I've been fortunate to travel the World on fishing expeditions but those kind of ended with COVID.

Vegetable gardening in my main interest here although I have learned a good bit about flowers from reading @Tetters posts and growing some myself.

Rain...43 inches of rain in the last 18 days and it came another storm last night with Hail an added bonus. I'm afraid to check the vegetable garden this morning.

We've gotten a lot of rain here in north-central Texas too but, thankfully, no hail yet. At least nothing big enough to do any damage. I'm really not sure exactly how much rainfall we've had.

Hopefully everything is still in tact for you!

Really hope there's minimal damage. It is so good to have you here as a member of the new community. We need as much expertise as we can get. ......and there I was thinking you may have overslept 😉

The Hail last night was small by Texas standards, and I found the garden to be in great shape.

This might be an appropriate time to introduce my veggie garden. I consider my veggie garden in three zones: zone 1, zone 2, zone 3. Each zone includes about 4-5 rows that are app 2ft wide by 80 ft long give or take. Each zone has its own rotation program and soil building program.

Let me introduce my zones starting with Zone 1 pictured below.

Zone 1 is bordered on the left by a fledging flower bed with various marigolds, geraniums, chrysanthemums, blue borage, sunflowers, nasturtiums, lantana, and mock orange among others. To the left of the flowers is a row of yellow crookneck squash, magda squash, and zucchini squash followed by navy beans finishing out the row. Next over are the tomatoes which include Texas super sweet 100's, roma, whoppers, tycoon, bella rosa, purple Cherokee, and cranberry beans finishing out the row. Interspersed with the tomatoes are the tomatillos and several basil and peppermint plants.

zone 1 2024.JPG

Zone 2 is immediately to the right of Zone 1 and shows several rows that are currently in soil refurbishment process which begins with application of several inches of composted animal manure, discing, then a cover crop, chop and drop, and green manure incorporation...all of which leads to soil that tests out " No N P K required" with nutrient density scores well above 90% without any artificial/synthetic fertilizers whatsoever. My preferred summer cover crop is Sunn Hemp and I also use cow peas. Winter cover crops include alfalfa, clovers, vetch, turnips, radishes, etc. .

These rows recently housed my fall/winter veggies including broccoli, cabbage, kale, daikon radish, red radish, beets, turnips, lettuce, carrots, mizuna, spinach, collards, and brussels sprouts and a few others.

Also, this zone contained my just recently harvested onion crop (over 200 pounds of Texas super sweet 1015 onions), my potato crop (over 200 pounds of red, white, and mixed potato varieties) and yet to be harvested soft neck garlic.

On the right of this zone 2 are my Hügelkultur containers (about 20) that are growing various mostly experimental crops including horseradish, carrots, corn, onions, etc.. The row is completed by a bean/cucumber/melon trellis made of 16 ft cattle panels and currently growing bingo beans, various cucumber varieties, and blue lake pole beans.

zone 2 2024.JPG

Zone 3 has the crops that will take us into summer including multiple varieties of okra, purple hull peas, two plantings of blue lake bush green beans, two plantings of Honey select corn, soon to be planted Murasaki and Asian sweet potatoes, blackberries which are loaded right now with ripe berries, and two types of sunflowers which serve as insect trap plants.

zone 3 2024.JPG

It all seems to be in great shape in spite of terrible recent torrential rains. I hope you enjoyed the "tour"

Wow, very nice! Your plants are definitely much bigger than mine. I'm assuming you probably planted sooner and have a better established soil. Since my soil is probably very much nutrient deficient from years of weed growth, and also with it being very sandy it doesn't hold water very well.

In other words, your garden is what I want mine to be someday!

One questions I have is about your cover crop. I think I've seen you say that you have alfalfa planted somewhere in there. Do you just sow the alfalfa and then till/plow it into the ground at some point (I assume before it seeds out)?

One questions I have is about your cover crop. I think I've seen you say that you have alfalfa planted somewhere in there. Do you just sow the alfalfa and then till/plow it into the ground at some point (I assume before it seeds out)?
Thanks for the comments and question.

Yes, alfalfa is one of the very best cover crops for soil building. Here, we have extreme heat and humidity June-September and I have found that alfalfa barely survives in those conditions. Local farmers do not grow it here for those reasons, even though it is highly prized.

I like to start mine in Aug./Sept and continue it through to the next spring April/May. For me and my use of it in my garden, it has evolved to be a fall/winter/spring cover crop.

I still see remnants of past cover crops of alfalfa coming up along the edges of rows. It is a welcome sight but not expected to last when things go 100 deg/100% humidity as they will soon here.

spring alfalfa.JPG

When it is flourishing it looks like this in the garden...fantastic stuff. No weeds penetrating and tremendous soil building.

alfalfa 2 2022.JPG

I may give that a shot once this part of the garden is done for the year. I'm just a little worried that, especially with our weather, that stuff may bloom and head out before it's time to till/plow it in. So, I may end up having to run a mower over it before it gets to that point. Still, though, it's worth trying something to keep some of the weeds at bay and, more importantly, to add something back into the soil before garden time again.

I'll be expanding the garden in August to get ready for a fall garden so I was thinking I might need some kind of cover crop on what's growing right now when that time comes.

I may end up having to run a mower over it before it gets to that point. Still, though, it's worth trying something to keep some of the weeds at bay and, more importantly, to add something back into the soil before garden time again.
Yes, that is exactly what I do...mow it several times and keep it mowed. That does a couple of things: 1) it is arguably the best form of "chop and drop" soil building one can perform. It is truly outstanding soil building. 2) by mowing you help contain the alfalfa, i.e. not allowing it to go to seed and spread indiscriminately.

For a fall/winter/spring alfalfa cover I would guess I mow it at least 10 times adding literally tons of organic matter to the soil. It is wonderful stuff.

I've been thinking.......rocket scientists are not ''two a penny'' are they - but I don't suppose for a moment that's an expression you use in America is it 🤔

I had to look up "two a penny" and found it means something is plentiful or easily obtained and consequently of little value.

No, I've never heard that expression and certainly not in regard to rocket science. A frequently used expression here is "well, it is not Rocket Science". I always chuckle when I hear and/or read that which is the exact opposite of the two a penny meaning.

There are still deniers who say the Moon landings were a hoax. I'm here to tell you they were absolutely NOT a hoax as I witnessed every one of them in real- time through the magic of telemetry downlinks. I consider that as the highest, greatest engineering accomplishment of all time and am honored to have been part of it.

I probably should not have mentioned it in my Intro, but it is a huge part of my life that I am extremely proud of. Looking forward to the "rocket scientists" jokes.

Well I did say NOT two a penny didn't I.... nowthen, I must see if I can remember any ''rocket scientists'' jokes.
There's more to you than meets the eye !!

My background is varied and started out as a rocket scientist working on the Apollo moon program. After 30 years, that evolved into project management for Lockheed, then consulting for Aerospace Corp, followed by private consulting work, and then my last position as Adjunct Professor. Now, I'm happy to be called a Texas Rancher/Cowboy. I've been fortunate to travel the World on fishing expeditions but those kind of ended with COVID.

Vegetable gardening in my main interest here although I have learned a good bit about flowers from reading @Tetters posts and growing some myself.

Rain...43 inches of rain in the last 18 days and it came another storm last night with Hail an added bonus. I'm afraid to check the vegetable garden this morning.
It's still raining?!?!?! SOMEONE STOP DANCING!!!

Have you considered building an Ark?
They talk about England being wet, well it is, we get rain about one day in three. Some times there is a hot dry summer but usually it is about 25 inches spread over the year. Makes for a 'Green and pleasant land'.
I remember cousin Elma telling Dad they got 23 inches in Arizona, "But that's almost what we get, why is it desert?", "We get it all in three days". She used to send us Arizona highways magazine and I remember one edition with pictures of the desert after rain, everything growing and flowering as quickly as possible before it dried out again.

Back