Hi all!

Sheal

Hardiness zone
8a
I'm Sheal, living a bit closer to the polar circle than most here - in the Highlands of Scotland.

Living rurally my garden is a challenge. Open to nature, climate, soil and pesky deer, finding plants that will survive let alone thrive is difficult but I enjoy every minute. :)

There is a bonus below though - the view from my back garden...

201.webp

Wow, beautiful view! I can only imagine waking up every morning to that view! To me, that might be worth all the struggles with the garden.

Welcome to the site, and thanks for sharing!

Wotcha mate, it is a pleasure to see you here. You might find it has a much lighter atmosphere, not only that you may just recognise a few folks you already know ;)

Thanks Mike. That beautiful view was covered in mist this morning. :LOL:

Evening Tetters. :) A lighter atmosphere is good but I don't think I should unleash my full sense of humour here though. ;)

Thanks Mike. That beautiful view was covered in mist this morning. :LOL:

Evening Tetters. :) A lighter atmosphere is good but I don't think I should unleash my full sense of humour here though. ;)
As we get older I think it should be allowed really..... why not? ..... sometimes it just can't be helped 1715624643286.webp

I'm not that surprised and the length difference will get more extreme for the next 40 some days.

Your area of Scotland is 52.7 deg N - 18 h 24 m of daylight
My area of Michigan is 42.8 deg N - 15 h 44 m of daylight
Dallas Texas is 32.6 deg N - 14 h 46 m of daylight

Just happened that Dallas was 10 deg off of Michigan.

I remember looking this same idea up when on another garden forum heavily populated by Texans. At the time most of them were around Houston and I was near Chicago. On the summer solstice Chicago had 2 hours more daylight than Houston.

I've noticed it since moving to Kent Mr Yan, it's only the other side of the country but it gets darker 20 minutes earlier :eek: Another thing I've noticed is the glow in the sky below the horizon near midsummer. It doesn't seem to get completely dark 😬

It doesn't get completely dark here at this time of year either. The drawback is the winter months. At the winter solstice sunset is at 15.33, but it's not a problem as there's very little can be done outside at that time of year. It's better to make use of longer daylight hours in summer.

I'm Sheal, living a bit closer to the polar circle than most here - in the Highlands of Scotland.

Living rurally my garden is a challenge. Open to nature, climate, soil and pesky deer, finding plants that will survive let alone thrive is difficult but I enjoy every minute. :)

There is a bonus below though - the view from my back garden...

View attachment 65
GARDEN?! WHO NEEDS A GARDEN?! Amazing view, thanks for sharing and thanks for being here!

Welcome MamaHawk. :)

Having a garden is good, the view is a lovely bonus and thank you too for your comments.

Would that be a Green Cheeked Conure in your avatar picture?

Welcome MamaHawk. :)

Having a garden is good, the view is a lovely bonus and thank you too for your comments.

Would that be a Green Cheeked Conure in your avatar picture?
Indeed it would be! It's the best picture I've got of him, his name is Cricket. He used to be mine specifically, but after I had my baby, he moved in with my brother in law who could take better care of him (the bird) than I could. But otherwise he's still well and...I'd say good, but given that he (again, the bird to be clear) bit me and broke through the skin last time I saw him, I'll just say "well."

Back