Hacks to Prevent Weeding Vegetables

Dirtmechanic

Hardiness zone
8a
I have these ryobi battery powered shears that I can use on tough weeds up close to sensitive roots like curcubits challenge me with and while I don't mind the manual shears, between the grit and occasional use of gloves my hands come out complaining after a long snipping session.
Screenshot_20240623_072049_Walmart.webpI would rather use a pair of scissors but either way you cannot process weed a bunch of rows quickly. The little orange bar is fairly worthless in the garden. I have a bigger version for shrubbery that works ok. Not very tough blade though. A boxwood branch snag can bend the moving blade on the 24". Chinesium? Probably, but most like operator error really.

Well I also am missing something...is that a veg I do not grow?
Oh dear Dirt, I don't think you've been paying attention 😮‍💨 that is a cover crop for when the ground would otherwise be bare, and when it has grown it all gets turned into the soil as fertiliser .... therefore, no weeding to do, and well fertilised soil all ready for the next bunch of veggies!
That system seems like a fantastic one for constant production of vegetables without using poisons, but for my flower beds, full of perennial plants it wouldn't work 🥴 I just have to keep on hand weeding.

Oh dear Dirt, I don't think you've been paying attention 😮‍💨 that is a cover crop for when the ground would otherwise be bare, and when it has grown it all gets turned into the soil as fertiliser .... therefore, no weeding to do, and well fertilised soil all ready for the next bunch of veggies!
That system seems like a fantastic one for constant production of vegetables without using poisons, but for my flower beds, full of perennial plants it wouldn't work 🥴 I just have to keep on hand weeding.
No I did not miss anything except maybe it could have been hemp for all I know. The leaf seemed unique like it was a fruiter.

Hacks to prevent weeding veg? Other than a mulch, which is what I use, I can't think of anything unless you want to put down a weed barrier, cut crosses in it and stick your plants in there. Wouldn't work for a seed bed, though. Still, weeds will be tenacious as is their nature and some will find a way through it no matter what you do.

I find that since I check my veg beds every morning, I just pull the weeds out as they emerge. Small weeds come out easily and aren't going to disturb your plantings. Or a scuffle hoe ( my personal fav) for weeding between rows
Let those weeds get a good start and then you need both hands and if it's bad, a backhoe to wrench them out.
Just stay on top of them, is my advice.

The "Hack" I illustrated above is literally centuries old. It is called cover crops. It can be done summer, fall, winter, spring with many different plants but is especially effective with legumes. It rebuilds soil while controlling weeds totally without the need for artificial fertilizers, expensive gadgets, and gimmicks.

It can be done in the full garden, in raised beds, and/or containers equally effectively.

The "Hack" I illustrated above is literally centuries old. It is called cover crops. It can be done summer, fall, winter, spring with many different plants but is especially effective with legumes. It rebuilds soil while controlling weeds totally without the need for artificial fertilizers, expensive gadgets, and gimmicks.

It can be done in the full garden, in raised beds, and/or containers equally effectively.
What was the plant you used for cover here @Meadowlark ? My brain is not in gear, and I can't remember what you said, and no time to look it up, I have a new lot of beans tucked away in my potting shed, and they need some water !!!!

That would be Sunn Hemp...which is not Hemp...

"Sunn hemp is in no way related to industrial hemp or marijuana. The crop is referred to as hemp because the stalks are very fibrous. Sunn hemp is a forage legume, meaning it has the ability to team up with soil bacteria to use nitrogen from the atmosphere instead of needing it supplied from fertilizer."

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago, Meadowlark had posted about the benefits of Cowpeas. I ordered some off of amazon, planted them. kinda excited about a new veg and cover. I did research on them, but clearly not enough. My new veg was just black eyed peas. different name.

Back