Garden Lizards

Anniekay

Hardiness zone
9a
This is Hemidactylus Garnotii, or Garnot's house lizard. They're endangered because our commom salamanders, Anoles, drive them off or kill them. They're nocturnal and when I moved into this house my front porch ceiling was COVERED with them at night !! Alas, since I started adding hedges and plants to the yard, the common Anoles have moved in and I hardly see them anymore but...

Tonight, there he was on my back porch screen, wiggle-squirming along, looking at me with his big black eyes !! A baby House Lizard !! Here he is: is he not the cutest ?? 😁He's only about 2 1/4" long but, if he doesn't get eaten, he'll grow to 5" long.

What do you have in your garden for lizards?
IMG_1247_kindlephoto-356597650.webp

Cor Annie, I love those little creatures. We don't see them here in the UK - our ''creatures'' are of a different kind. :censored:..... however, when I lived in the bush in Australia - back in the year dot, I made a lizard hospital. Any stray animal seemed to turn up here for shelter, and the ensuing cats would attack and eat the small lizards before they had a chance. Any that had broken limbs, or other damage I did my best to mend, with increasing success after a while.
I left the bigger ones to their own devices though. It was usual to see the goannas wandering around, and those big ones with frill necks (can't remember the name unless I look it up) Fascinating creatures!1723536928016.webpMy daughter's house near Brisbane is full of little Asian geckos. They eat flies!!

Cor Annie, I love those little creatures. We don't see them here in the UK - our ''creatures'' are of a different kind. :censored:..... however, when I lived in the bush in Australia - back in the year dot, I made a lizard hospital. Any stray animal seemed to turn up here for shelter, and the ensuing cats would attack and eat the small lizards before they had a chance. Any that had broken limbs, or other damage I did my best to mend, with increasing success after a while.
I left the bigger ones to their own devices though. It was usual to see the goannas wandering around, and those big ones with frill necks (can't remember the name unless I look it up) Fascinating creatures!View attachment 1092My daughter's house near Brisbane is full of little Asian geckos. They eat flies!!
They are fascinating and so prehistoric looking. I can just see the lizards hobbling over to your house for tender loving care. Animals all instinctively know who likes them and who doesn't.
I hear the lizards can be very large downunder. I've never had the chance to visit there, though.

Back