First Name Option Added

Mike

Administrator
First name
Mike
Hardiness zone
8a
I just wanted to let everyone know that I've added a "First name" option to your account details page. If you fill that out, it will display your first name next to all of your posts on the site. It's been my experience that sometimes it can make the site a bit more personal, and the community tighter, if we're all communicated on a first name, instead of nickname, basis.

Please note, this is not a required field. If you would rather not share your first name, for privacy concerns, that is perfectly acceptable.

Just a thought. Would this cause problems for members with the same name?

No, the first name data is stored the same way the hardiness zones are stored. They're just stored, then displayed only in the profile locations.

I have to admit, when first seeing shop staff etc wearing name badges I thought it a bit of a cheek. Then perhaps it helps to brighten up someones day. I seldom use names for fear of getting them wrong.

I'm always getting people's names wrong, even if they do have a badge on :rolleyes:

Welcome on board @Mike Allen 😁

I have to admit, when first seeing shop staff etc wearing name badges I thought it a bit of a cheek. Then perhaps it helps to brighten up someones day. I seldom use names for fear of getting them wrong.
I went to Specsavers and the young man said "Good morning, I'm Harry". I looked at his name badge and said, "No it's not, your badge says Hari Krishna, that means 'Praise to God doesn't it? You should be proud your parents were so pleased they called you that."
He looked a little abashed and pleased at the same time, we got on very well after that.

Back