Bonsai

Zigs

Hardiness zone
9a
Maybe Mr Mechanic will remember when I started this one off several years ago? @Dirtmechanic

It hasn't grown much 😁

DSC04434.JPG

I have some others, took a pic of the Scot's Pine today but I need to move it out and take a better pic tomorrow.

DSC04462.JPG It's hard to make it out against the tree behind it 🙄

I've also been experimenting with Bonsai cacti landscapes, started this one off 2 years ago and then added some plants in the winter.

DSC04454.JPG

I've been toying with trying bonsai again. There's a bunch of internet ideas on taking a juniper of similar shrub from a nursery and pruning it as a jump start. Is there anything to that idea?

I've been toying with trying bonsai again. There's a bunch of internet ideas on taking a juniper of similar shrub from a nursery and pruning it as a jump start. Is there anything to that idea?
IMO I favor snipping basil most of all. I just have never been able to stunt growth intentionally although my unintentional superpowers are legendary.

Good idea Mr Yan 🙂

My ash tree has taken 6 years so far and it still looks like a sapling. Rosemary could be another short cut, they usually develop gnarled trunks by themselves.

IMO I favor snipping basil most of all. I just have never been able to stunt growth intentionally although my unintentional superpowers are legendary.

Another good idea Mr Mechanic, we've heard about your Soup powers 😁

Didn't get around to taking another pic of the Scot's pine but I did pot up 2 more Scot's pine seedlings 😁

I also re potted my Bonsai Yucca 🙂

I started this off in 2021...

DSC04961.JPG

It was a piece of root from one that Tetters wanted me to dig out. Decided to keep it in a small pot and hopefully get a small flower in a few years.

Three years later, it's grown some new shoots and needs a bigger pot.

DSC04477.JPG

I pruned the roots to stop runners getting out of the pot and forming new plants (same as Agaves do) and re potted it in a gritty compost.

I won't water if for a week to let the roots heal.

DSC04489.JPG

Rosemary and Basil bonsai eh?

Anyway rosemary gives me trouble. On one hand my winters are too hard and rosemary doesn't survive. On the other hand my house is too warm to overwinter as it doesn't get dormancy.

Better judgement says patio first, garden and bike second, bonsai third.

Back