Anemones, tricky to grow, or no?

Anniekay

Hardiness zone
9a
From what I've been reading it seems that Anemones will grow well in my climate zone 9a. I was thinking of getting Poppy Anemones, "Mr. Fokker" ( lovely blue color) and "The Bride", of course, the obvious white with a lovely yellowy gold center.

In my zone, very strong sunlight, they recommend morning sun/ afternoon shade, or all day dappled shade, not full sun, so I have a spot !! Any recommendations on companion plants for these? Since they're fall blooming, in my area, I can't think what to plant with them?

I would appreciate any advice I can as I have absolutely no experience with these corms. The only bulbs I seem to be good at growing are Glads; they come up lovely as ever, year after year.

1724546233815.webp
Mr. Fokker
1724546279160.webp
The Bride

Annie, I have found this variety of Anemone a bit temperamental to grow, although they are great if you have the patience, but I prefer to grow the perennial Anemone japonica, which blooms in the autumn/fall. There are lots of hybrids of these, and they are lovely - best introduced to a garden in pot form - ready for planting and splitting to move to prepared beds as they spread as soon as they finish flowering.
The varieties you clearly are looking at are spring flowering, and mix well with forget-me-nots (Myosotis) and other spring bulbs like miniature Daffodils, Tulips, Lily of the valley, and Hyacinths, as well as Wallflowers.

1724712445894.webp These are examples of the Anemone japonica.

Annie, I have found this variety of Anemone a bit temperamental to grow, although they are great if you have the patience, but I prefer to grow the perennial Anemone japonica, which blooms in the autumn/fall. There are lots of hybrids of these, and they are lovely - best introduced to a garden in pot form - ready for planting and splitting to move to prepared beds as they spread as soon as they finish flowering.
The varieties you clearly are looking at are spring flowering, and mix well with forget-me-nots (Myosotis) and other spring bulbs like miniature Daffodils, Tulips, Lily of the valley, and Hyacinths, as well as Wallflowers.

View attachment 1149 These are examples of the Anemone japonica.
Those are lovely !! They have more petals and are taller than the ones I was looking at too. Now, though, I'm a bit confused as the catalogue said the Anemone coronaria
( Poppy Anemone) blooms in fall. 😣😣😣
I do want the fall flowering variety. I don't want to have to fuss too much with them. I don't mind a bit of molly- coddling but I have half an acre here and my other plant children need attention as well !!😄

So plants rather than corms. I can find lots of sellers offering corms on line. I'll do more hunting on the internet to see who offers plants. I have never seen Anemones offered for sale at the local nurseries. That's probably a "tell" that they aren't the easiest to grow. I just want them !! 😆

Yes, they are members of the Coronaria - either the form ''De Caen'' or ''St Brigid'' and those are the ones that grow in the springtime - as are the Anemone Blanda which are tougher, more hardy blue ones
1724874242017.webp like these. Poppy Anemone is another name used for the spring flowering ones - they don't bloom late in the year.
You may enjoy this video Annie, it will give you an idea of ''Anemone japonica''
I love these, they spread, and I encourage this. I have many varieties in my gardens, and will have to take some photos for Zigs to upload for me.

Thank you so much Tetters, the video was lovely and I really love the fuzzy seed heads on the Japanese Anemones. I will be planting those instead of the Poppy Anemones and I too like the idea that they like to spread. I have lots of empty pockets in my garden that need filling. Thanks again for all your help !!

Back